Mayport Guardianship Lawyer

Mayport Guardianship Lawyer – Our Mayport Guardianship Lawyers are able to assist you in guardianship matters in Mayport, Florida.  Mayport Village, a quaint fishing community within Jacksonville, Florida, is located at the mouth of the St. Johns River, approximately 15 miles east of downtown Jacksonville.  Mayport is home to the Mayport Naval Station, and to the local shrimping industry. Guardianship proceedings in Mayport can be over incapacitated adults, minor children, the elderly and the developmentally disabled.I f  the person for whom a guardianship is needed resides in, or is presently living in a residential or other health care facility located in Mayport, a guardianship proceeding will be filed in the Duval County Courthouse, located in downtown Jacksonville at 301 E. Bay St., Jacksonville Florida.
Depending upon your circumstances, a guardianship over another person may be in your future.  Guardianships may be required over the elderly, the incapacitated, the developmentally disabled adult, the drug or alcohol dependent, and the mentally ill.  Additionally, guardianships may  be over a minor child, whose parents have passed away or are unable to care for them.  A guardianship is also necessary whenever a minor child, including your natural children, receives an amount of money in excess of $15,000.00.  This money may be the result of an inheritance, a settlement for a personal injury or wrongful death action, or any other property given which is in excess of the amount allowable by law.

Any resident of the state of Florida who is 18 years of age or older and who is not disqualified by the reasons listed in the Florida Statutes, may act as guardian of a “ward” (the person for whom a guardian has been appointed).
A non-resident of the state may serve as guardian of a resident ward is he or she is:  (a) related by lineal consanguinity to the ward; (b) a legally adopted child or adoptive parent of the ward; (c) a spouse, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece, or nephew of the ward, or someone related by lineal consanguinity to any such person; or (d) the spouse of a person otherwise qualified under this section.
Our Mayport Guardianship Lawyers are knowledgeable in guardianship matters and have experience with plenary guardianships, limited guardianships, voluntary guardianships, guardianship of minors, and guardian advocacy.  We can also assist you in proceedings granting temporary custody of a minor child to an extended family member.