Jacksonville DUI - Driving While Under the Influence (DUI/DWI)
DUI (Driving under the influence, drunk driving, DWI, or Driving wile intoxicated) occurred when it is proven beyond a reasonable doubt that you
- Were driving while your faculties were impaired due to the influence of drugs or alcohol; or
- Were driving a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.80 % or higher.
Once legally stopped an officer can evaluate an odor of alcohol, whether your eyes are bloodshot, if you speech is slurred, your stability on your feet, evidence of drug or alcohol on your person or in your car.
If you were not legally stopped, the evidence that follows the stop may not be admissible in court.
It is common for an officer to ask the person if they have used drugs or consumed alcohol. Anything you say could be used against you to bring charges and in your trial.
In Jacksonville the sentences for DUI are as follows:
- First Offense: Fine: $250-$500; Suspension: 6-12 Months; Jail: 1 day - 6 months; Probation 6-12 Months.
- Second Offense: Fine: $500-$1,000; Suspension: 6-12 Months or 5 years; Jail: 10 day - 9 months; Probation 6-12 Months; Ignition lock; 1 year.
- Third Offense: Fine: $1,000-$5,000; Suspension: 6-12 Months; Jail: 30 days - 5 years; Probation 0-5 years; Ignition lock; 2 years.
Once arrested for DUI in Jacksonville, you only have 10 days from the arrest to request a hearing from the DMV to avoid loosing your license for the statutory period.
It is best to Contact a Jacksonville DUI lawyer by email or by calling 904-685-1200 as soon as possible to reduce the chance that your license will be suspended and there is time to investigate any defenses to the charges brought against you.