Fernandina Beach Guardianship Lawyer

Fernandina Beach Guardianship Lawyer - Our Fernandina Beach Guardianship Lawyers are able to assist you in guardianship proceedings in Fernandina Beach, Florida.  Fernandina beach is the county seat of Nassau County.  Guardianship actions are filed with the Nassau County Probate Department.  Guardianships may be required for an elderly person, an incapacitated person, a developmentally disabled adult or someone who is unable to care for his or her finances, health, and well being.

The Nassau County Clerk of Court is located in the Nassau County Judicial Annex, located on Veteran’s Way, in Yulee, Florida. and this is where guardianship proceedings are filed.

Depending upon your circumstances, a guardianship over another person may be in your future.  Guardianships may be required over the elderly, the incapacitated, the developmentally disabled adult, the drug or alcohol dependent, and the mentally ill.  Additionally, guardianships may  be over a minor child, whose parents have passed away or are unable to care for them.  A guardianship is also necessary whenever a minor child, including your natural children, receives an amount of money in excess of $15,000.00.  This money may be the result of an inheritance, a settlement for a personal injury or wrongful death action, or any other property given which is in excess of the amount allowable by law.

Any resident of the state of Florida who is 18 years of age or older and who is not disqualified by the reasons listed in the Florida Statutes, may act as guardian of a “ward” (the person for whom a guardian has been appointed).
A non-resident of the state may serve as guardian of a resident ward is he or she is:  (a) related by lineal consanguinity to the ward; (b) a legally adopted child or adoptive parent of the ward; (c) a spouse, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece, or nephew of the ward, or someone related by lineal consanguinity to any such person; or (d) the spouse of a person otherwise qualified under this section.
Our Fernandina Beach Guardianship Lawyers are knowledgeable in guardianship matters and have experience with plenary guardianships, limited guardianships, voluntary guardianships, guardianship of minors, and guardian advocacy.  We can also assist you in proceedings granting temporary custody of a minor child to an extended family member.