Justia Lawyer Rating
Super Lawyers

Can a Civil Judgment be Discharged in Bankruptcy?

Filing Bankruptcy in Jacksonville, Florida will dissolve your personal liability for the majority types of Civil Judgments you can receive. However, there are of course exceptions. Speaking with a Jacksonville Bankruptcy Attorney can help you determine if your Civil Judgment can be discharged by filing bankruptcy.

What types of Civil Judgments can be Discharged through Bankruptcy? Whether or not your Civil Judgment will be discharged by filing a Jacksonville Bankruptcy mostly depends on why the Civil Judgment was entered against you. Was the original debt for a credit card, car loan, mortgage, car accident, etc.? Jacksonville Bankruptcy Attorneys mostly see civil judgments entered against clients after a credit card bill has gone unpaid, or the client was evicted from their apartment, and the landlord also received a money judgment against them. Civil Judgments are also frequently entered after a vehicle was repossessed, and the lender sues the client for the difference between the balance of the car loan and what the lender was able to resell the vehicle for. These types of Civil Judgments can most likely be discharged by filing bankruptcy in Jacksonville, Florida, and usually also include debts from medical bills and personal loans. What types of Civil Judgments CAN NOT be Discharged through Bankruptcy?

As stated above, of course, there are exceptions to being able to discharge a Civil Judgment through bankruptcy, and a Jacksonville Bankruptcy Attorney can help you determine whether or not your Civil Judgment will be dischargeable. If your Civil judgment in Jacksonville Florida arose from child support or alimony, criminal fines or taxes, or a student loan, then the Civil Judgment will most likely not be discharged by filing bankruptcy.

Additionally, if a debt arose through fraud, misrepresentation, or false pretenses, then bankruptcy will not provide you any relief from the debt. Likewise, if you owe a debt that is the result of causing an injury or death while driving under the influence or through malicious or willful actions, then the debt is also not dischargeable through bankruptcy.

How can a Creditor Collect A Civil Judgment?

In Jacksonville, once a court grants a creditor a Civil Judgment against you and you fail to satisfy the judgment, then the creditor can go back to court and ask the court to enforce the judgment. A Jacksonville Court can help a creditor enforce a Civil Judgment in a few ways. The most common and best way a Civil Judgment can be enforced by a court is through a Wage Garnishment Order. However, you must receive W-2 income for your wages to be garnished. If you do not have W-2 income, then another way for a Civil Judgment to be enforced is by having your bank account levied through a Writ of Garnishment Order. The third most common way to enforce a Civil Judgment is by recording it in the public records as a lien against your real property. By recording the Civil Judgment as a lien against your Jacksonville Real Property, you will not be able to refinance or sell the real property without first satisfying the Civil Judgment Lien.

If you file a Jacksonville Bankruptcy, then the Wage Garnishment Order will be stopped, and your wages will no longer be garnished. If your bank account was levied, then you might be able to have the funds collected returned to you. However, if your Civil Judgment was recorded in the public records as a lien on your Jacksonville Real Property, then filing bankruptcy will only remove your personal liability for the debt. Filing bankruptcy in Jacksonville will not remove the lien. This means you will still be unable to sell or refinance the real property without first satisfying the Civil Judgment Lien. By first consulting with an experienced Jacksonville Bankruptcy Attorney or Jacksonville Real Estate Attorney you can determine whether the Civil Judgment Lien will be able to remove after you file bankruptcy. In some instances, you may have to wait up to one year after receiving your Bankruptcy Discharge before you will be able to remove the Civil Judgment Lien.

If you have received a Civil Judgment and are considering filing bankruptcy in Jacksonville, Florida or the nearby areas, contact the Law Office of David M. Goldman, PLLC today to speak with a Jacksonville Bankruptcy Attorney to help you decide the best way for you to handle your Civil Judgment.

Client Reviews
"As a real estate agent, I have been involved with many property transactions where I needed a probate attorney to help facilitate the transaction. I have used the services of Mr. Goldman and his staff over the last several years and continue to use them on a regular basis. His office has been able to navigate the court system and help estates sell their property quickly and efficiently..." Michael Starling
"I've had Mr. Goldman do my entire estate planning as well as my gun trust. I highly recommend him and his firm. If you're planning a gun trust, trust no one else Mr. Goldman is one of if not the best versed on this topic." Howard
“Great service is an understatement. We bought several properties that Mr. Goldman handled for his clients. The communication and explanation of everything was terrific. I would definitely recommend him for all of your real estate needs.” Kassandra
“After struggling with 2 probate cases prior to hiring attorney Goldman I was extremely apprehensive during the hiring phase. Not only did Attorney Goldman assure me they could take care of this his office was wonderful. Jennifer was assigned to my case and she was wonderful and were able to guide another probate case I had saving me additional time and frustration. Highly recommend this office.” Debbie