Justia Lawyer Rating
Super Lawyers
Expertise - Best Divorce Lawyers in Jacksonville

Bad or Worthless Checks

In Jacksonville, Florida, when a person writes a "bad" check, a check with insufficient funds, the criminal charge is referred to as a worthless check charge.  Jacksonville worthless check charges may be filed by the State Attorney's Office pursuant to Florida Statute Section 832.05.  Under the Florida worthless check statute:

"It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to draw, make, utter, issue, or deliver to another any check, draft, or other written order on any bank or depository, or to use a debit card, for the payment of money or its equivalent, knowing at the time of the drawing, making, uttering, issuing, or delivering such check or draft, or at the time of using such debit card, that the maker or drawer thereof has not sufficient funds on deposit in or credit with such bank or depository with which to pay the same on presentation; except that this section does not apply to any check when the payee or holder knows or has been expressly notified prior to the drawing or uttering of the check, or has reason to believe, that the drawer did not have on deposit or to the drawer's credit with the drawee sufficient funds to ensure payment as aforesaid, nor does this section apply to any postdated check." (emphasis added)

The Jacksonville worthless check law does not make it a crime to write a check without having the funds to cover that check in your bank account.  Instead, a Jacksonville worthless check charge requires the defendant to know, at the time he or she drafts the check, that there are insufficient funds in his or her account.  Quite often, a person will write a check without having knowledge that the account is without funds.  Therefore, he or she is not in violation of the Jacksonville worthless check law.

A Jacksonville worthless check charge can be a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the amount of the check.  If the amount is for $150 or more, the crime is a third-degree felony.  Anything less than that is a first-degree misdemeanor.

If you have been charged with writing a bad check in Jacksonville, Florida or the surrounding areas, contact a Jacksonville Worthless Check Attorney.  An attorney can contact the State Attorney Office and, depending on your circumstances, help you dispose of the Jacksonville "bad check" case in a fashion that is favorable to you.

Client Reviews
"As a real estate agent, I have been involved with many property transactions where I needed a probate attorney to help facilitate the transaction. I have used the services of Mr. Goldman and his staff over the last several years and continue to use them on a regular basis. His office has been able to navigate the court system and help estates sell their property quickly and efficiently..." Michael Starling
"I've had Mr. Goldman do my entire estate planning as well as my gun trust. I highly recommend him and his firm. If you're planning a gun trust, trust no one else Mr. Goldman is one of if not the best versed on this topic." Howard
“Great service is an understatement. We bought several properties that Mr. Goldman handled for his clients. The communication and explanation of everything was terrific. I would definitely recommend him for all of your real estate needs.” Kassandra
“After struggling with 2 probate cases prior to hiring attorney Goldman I was extremely apprehensive during the hiring phase. Not only did Attorney Goldman assure me they could take care of this his office was wonderful. Jennifer was assigned to my case and she was wonderful and were able to guide another probate case I had saving me additional time and frustration. Highly recommend this office.” Debbie